Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fall approaches and we wait.

Cute picture of Claire taken on Liberty Island, NY a few weeks ago


I just wanted to put up a post for my regular readers who may be wondering why I haven't posted in so long. First of all, my book review of a Nation of Farmers is not coming along all that well. It was a great book, but I have some serious issues with some of the suggestions in the book and I'm having trouble getting the review just right. So I hope to get it worked out and up here soon.

Also, I have put my job search in high gear. I found a job I really want and I've been working on that process non-stop. including a very intensive interview process which just wrapped up this morning. I survived 5 interviews for this job, and I'm on the short list. They told me today I will hear something from them one way or the other by the end of this week. So I wait.

On the farm, we have little news. We have a ton of pumpkins out there in the patch, but suddenly all of the leaves turned yellow and the I don't know if the plants are dying or what. The pumpkins themselves look ok, but the plants are no longer green. The corn has tassled and we have little ears and they have about a month to get to full size. I've been told by some local farmers they need to be off the stalks by the third week of September. So we'll see on that. The tomatoes are not turning red yet, and the chickens are eating them green; they don't care. So I am not sure we will end up with any tomatoes at all once the chickens are through. Speaking of the chickens, they are still sick. They finished their course of antibiotics and now we just have to wait and see how they do. We did lose one chicken in all of this, our sickest one. The others seem to be doing ok, but recovery has been slow. The good news is that we have successfully prevented the turkeys from getting sick, and they are doing very well. It is amazing to us how fast the turkeys are growing. We have to find new accommodations for them quickly. Also since we could not eat the eggs of the chickens while they were medicated, we allowed two chicks to go broody and sit on the eggs and we have an incubator for the overflow. I have no idea if this will actually yield new chickens, but on this too we just have to wait and see.

I will update again on all of these wait and see things going on for us as they shake out.

No comments:

Post a Comment