Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Overalls and All That They Imply


The kids want overalls.
My oh my, what is a city girl to do?
Well I suppose this is all my own fault, what with up and moving my kids from an urban environment to a farm and all, and yet, for some reason I just can't seem to make myself buy the things.
Is this ridiculous?
The decision to wear overalls is a loaded one. A bigger deal in my opinion than the choice between Levi's or Wranglers. In this debate I know exactly where I stand. I'm a Levi's. I'm not a Wrangler. I'll never be a Wrangler. I wouldn't even try on a pair of Wranglers. Ever. Actually I'd even take this debate a step further into Z. Cavaricci and FUBU territory, because it is all about wearing clothes that can identify where you belong in the social structure, but I digress, back to the overalls.

We do live on a farm. Even though we don't earn our living on the farm, we do lots of yucky farm jobs like shoveling animal poo, mowing paddocks, digging in dirt, handling animals, cleaning things, etc... If we have our way, soon we'll be mucking out the cow stalls and the pig sty. We have a demonstrated need for overalls and for that matter Muck Boots!
Overalls are not exactly easy to come by. You have to know where to look. Sure, anything can be had online, but then you can't see the fabric or try them on. They are also, pretty expensive once you are out of the Oshkosh B'Gosh sizes.
Let be honest though. For me, the biggest issue associated with buying overalls is the stigma attached to them. I did some research on where this stigma comes from and I found this interesting piece that appeared on NPR a few years ago. I grew up in and have lived for the majority of my life in urban areas. Overalls are not part of the urban/suburban wardrobe. In the same way that Wranglers are not part of the New England wardrobe, and Levi's are not part of the Wyoming wardrobe. Overalls are supposed to be inexpensive work wear for people who work outside and have to carry tools, but they are so much more than that. When John Mellencamp donned coveralls for the Sept. 11 benefit concert, it was a political statement. What statement will I make if I clad myself and my family in overalls?
Eventually I will have to come to terms with the overalls because the kids really want them and can make a good logical case for them. I will feel as out of place in overalls as a New England college kid in a pair of Wranglers, or a rodeo roper in pair of Levi's. It will never feel right. There is just something so very out of kilter about a girl who grew up in Philly shopping online at Farm and Fleet.
I will keep you posted on whether I can overcome my tribal associations and actually bring myself to procure a pair of overalls for everyone because we actually do need them.
Livestock Headcount:
6 Ducks
6 Baby Chickens
4 Adolescent Hens
1 Teenage Rooster
6 Mean Old Hens
9 Loud Guinea Hens
We are still in the market for:
1 or 2 Dexter or Jersey Cows (in milk)
A breeding pair of Tamworth hogs
A Slovak Cuvac puppy (to guard the flock)
This week we rescued:
2 baby bunny rabbits who came very close to getting mowed with the new ride on mower.

No comments:

Post a Comment