Monday, June 22, 2009

Life comes to the farm

For the first time on this farm, today both Charlie and I were up before 8am. It just doesn't feel like life on a farm when you sleep in. The reason we forced ourselves up was that we had a date with the septic repair company. We have never lived with a septic tank before. My brother Mike has one and I spent a portion of father's day yesterday grilling him and my nephew Dennis about the life with a septic tank and how you know if it is actually working. Unless it literally backs up into the house you pretty much have no idea if its working smoothly or not. Things were not that bad, but with all of the rain and the water pooling all over the property, it occured to me yesterday as my feet squished through the grass, that maybe that swampy smell was the septic tank backing up. So I did some reading on line and in fact, pooling water on the property is a sign that the land is not draining properly (which will cause your septic system to overload and send water backward through the system). So they septic repair people came this morning and sure enough, the septic system is backing up. He told us as he pumped it, water was flowing in to the system from the leech field, and apparantly, even with a lot of rain, that is not supposed to happen. The landlord said he will keep it pumped out, every six months if necessary. I'm just repeating my relaxation mantra--"it's only a rental."

After the septic people left, it was still heavily overcast and we walked out to the garden with our coffees to see if there was anything sprouting where we had planted seeds. Nada. No corn, no lima beans, and the tomatoes were looking as sad as can be. I walked away from that garden disgusted. (Even though the green beans, peas, peppers, celery and basil appear to be doing ok.)

Later in the day Charlie went out to pick up a few more chickens we had ordered from a local lady who sells chickens (live ones), and miracle of all miracles, the sun came out. It shined hot and bright for a few hours. Right as my roast was finishing for dinner, Charlie came in and said, "come with me, I want to show you something." Unbelivably, the corn was poking through the soil and we found one, yes one, sprouted lima bean with a nice strong stalk poking up through the soil as well. We are certain that lima bean sprout was not there this morning. It is amazing what a few hours of sun will do.

As I type, by candelight, (it attracts less bugs) the kids are all outside chasing and catching lightening bugs, something that speaks of summer to all children in the Eastern half of the United States. When they come inside, maybe I'll serve everyone a water ice and it will be a complete summer day, New Jersey style.

Today's Livestock Headcount:
10 chickens (7 Americaunas and 3 buff Orpingtons)
9 Guinea hens
6 ducks

Today's Dinner Menu:
Tenderloin Roast
Cheddar/Pepper buttermilk buscuits
Green beans
Tossed salad with local salad greens from the farmer's market

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you guys are doing well! I don't know if you have wild berries nearby, but if you do that could be fun for the kids to pick (and you can eat them and cook with them). Right now we have mulberries growing and if I get off my butt I will be making mulberry pancakes this morning, though we sleep in, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. I am glad to hear that things are shaping up down on the farm - even with the hiccups along the way. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how interesting the blog is and that I'm checking in. Hope the weather clears for you soon and you get a cornucopia!

    ReplyDelete